The Smart Meter Entity (SME) operates the Meter Data Management and Repository (MDM/R) and managed its development. The MDM/R processes smart meter consumption data in Ontario to support Time-of-Use (TOU) rate implementation. The Government of Ontario designated the Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) the SME in 2007 to support its Smart Metering Initiative and coordinate the Smart Metering System Implementation Program (SMSIP).
The SME facilitates the integration of Local Distribution Company (LDC) smart meters with the MDM/R and delivers business services that enable LDCs to bill their customers on TOU. It also provides the following services:
- It manages the MDM/R contract with the Operational Service Provider (IBM) to ensure it operates reliably and within contracted service levels;
- It manages changes to the MDM/R to ensure the changes are implemented in a controlled manner;
- It coordinates the MDM/R’s design, technical architecture, and standards;
- It manages MDM/R quality assurance to ensure the MDM/R functions and operates as designed, and fulfills audit requirements;
- It provides first-level incident response and resolution services;
- It coordinates shared services across IESO functions to fulfill its obligations as the SME.