The Smart Meter Entity (SME) operates the Meter Data Management and Repository (MDM/R). The MDM/R processes smart meter consumption data in Ontario to support Time-of-Use (TOU) rate implementation. The Government of Ontario designated the Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) the SME in 2007 to support its Smart Metering Initiative and coordinate the Smart Metering System Implementation Program (SMSIP).
The SME publishes the specifications and provides the platform necessary for Ontario’s Local Distribution Companies (LDCs) to effectively submit and integrate their customers’ consumption data with the MDM/R as well as delivers business services that enable LDCs to bill their customers on TOU. The SME also provides the following services:
manages the MDM/R contract with the Operational Service Provider (IBM) to ensure the MDM/R operates reliably and within contracted service levels;
manages changes to the MDM/R to ensure all changes are implemented in a controlled manner;
- maintains and updates the MDM/R’s design, technical architecture, and standards;
- monitors and manages the MDM/R’s performance and quality assurance to ensure the MDM/R functions and operates as designed, and fulfills audit requirements;
- provides first-level incident response and resolution services to LDCs and their registered agents;
- conducts regular training sessions to LDCs to ensure they are well versed in the key functions of the MDM/R;
- provides regular updates to LDCs through conference calls and electronic communication about the ongoing and planned projects impacting the MDM/R;
- cooperates with other regulatory entities (e.g. Measurement Canada) where needed to maximize the value for the residents of Ontario;
- manages and performs tests of the Disaster Recovery Plan for the MDM/R to ensure minimum interruption of service in the case of a disaster;
- coordinates with government agencies on research studies that require extraction of data from the MDM/R for the purposed of data analysis’
- provides regular updates to the Ministry of Energy and the Ontario Energy Board;
- coordinates shared services across IESO functions to fulfill its obligations as the SME.